Villains and Vigilantes House Rules by John
  Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARK TO HTTPS instead of HTTP and CLEAR YOUR CACHE => https://www.villainsandvigilantesforum.c...
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46
Send Topic Print
Enjoy the boobies!! - NSFW! (Read 5721 times)
AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Re: FGU vs MHG
Reply #105 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:19am

"All of which have been languishing without development as long as V&V has. "
Reasonably explained as stated above... no money or demand equals no development.

"Actually with MHG's generous third party license..."

FGU doesn't need a 3rd party agreement to have creators come along and make official product. No matter how generous, that 3rd party line is a smokescreen for the canon argument of MHG saying: "all the 'first rate' product is ours and we said it was okay for everyone else to do the non-canonical works..."

That's caca and makes a second tier of products there doesn't need to be, and I'll be damned if anything I choose to do without Jeff is labeled second rate. I've got my fans too and my dignity. If I'm working on V&V, it's *the* V&V, not a 'compatible' open license product, nor one under a hijacked label.

If it's not fun, we're not doing it right.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

East Indiana
Reply #106 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:47am

While I still like to hear from Scott Bizar personally, I thank AK for giving some deeper understanding of his views and why they are the way they are

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

C.L.
Sidekick

aka Curt

Reply #107 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 8:00am

Ranger wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 7:47am:
While I still like to hear from Scott Bizar personally, I thank AK for giving some deeper understanding of his views and why they are the way they are 

Have you tried contacting him personally. Since he doesn't come to this forum, posting here that you'd like to hear from him probably won't get results. Other people have said they've contacted FGU and heard back, from what I've read.

IP Logged

C.L.
Sidekick

aka Curt

Reply #108 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:49am

To bring the question back at the table: Did FGU send MHG a cease and desist notice?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #109 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:30am

Yes. Apparently, they have ignored it.

IP Logged

C.L.
Sidekick

aka Curt

Reply #110 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:36am

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:30am:
Yes. Apparently, they have ignored it.

Okay, so FGU has taken a legal step against MHG. So Jeff Dee's earlier notes they they hadn't heard anything official from FGU were part of his selective memory?

Anyone else go to Critical Fumble. Chimaera (who I saw used to post here) has been rather "direct" about Jeff Dee's statements.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins!

Portland, OR
Reply #111 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 2:08pm

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 6:19am:
FGU doesn't need a 3rd party agreement to have creators come along and make official product. No matter how generous, that 3rd party line is a smokescreen for the canon argument of MHG saying: "all the 'first rate' product is ours and we said it was okay for everyone else to do the non-canonical works..."

That's caca and makes a second tier of products there doesn't need to be, and I'll be damned if anything I choose to do without Jeff is labeled second rate. I've got my fans too and my dignity. If I'm working on V&V, it's *the* V&V, not a 'compatible' open license product, nor one under a hijacked label.

I'm sorry AK, but I don't buy this. 3rd party publishing is far from 2nd tier. There are some 3rd party publishers for other games with such licenses that have put out product as good as the material the original publisher has. I'll point to Misfit Studios, and their excellent releases for Mutants & Masterminds (as well as material they did for Eden Studios Armageddon rpg) as proof positive of quality material from a 3rd party publisher that is on par with the publisher's own releases.

More importantly, not everyone wants to write for the game's official setting. A 3rd party license allows people to still do material for a game, without forcing them to tie it to the official setting (especially if some of their ideas don't mesh with what is supposed to be "official").

The publisher still has to ok the project, then look over the finished work, and give an approve it before it can be released publicly. The only way something crappy gets released is if the publisher gives final approval once a copy is sent to them, and it still needs work. A publisher can still deny a product for release if they feel it needs more work. They can also pull a license from a 3rd party if they feel that party isn't keeping with the standards they want for the game. Any rpg with a 3rd party license requires this, to help maintain the core products standards. Not all 3rd party releases will be as good as the ones the publisher releases, but at least they can make sure that total crap isn't coming out either.

But to insinuate that all 3rd party material released will be "sub-par" or "caca" is totally unfair.

Soultaker Studios Blog: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Machete don't text"

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Young Justice

I Love V&V!

Reply #112 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:12pm

The "official" thing is merely to indicate which characters Monkey House Games owns the rights to. The characters from the original FGU (Inc. of New York, the original and now defunct corporation) modules were owned by the various creators; unless those creators reach agreement with MHG about the use of the characters, MHG cannot publish them in an "official" capacity. This was one of the reasons MHG developed their free compatibility license and logo; so people who wanted to publish V&V compatible materials but not give up the rights to their characters can do so.

Allen

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #113 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 8:31pm

C.L. wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:36am:
Anyone else go to Critical Fumble. Chimaera (who I saw used to post here) has been rather "direct" about Jeff Dee's statements.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #114 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Say what you want to, but there is only one V&V.
That's fair.... we don't need a balkanization of the property and if you want to publish materials - send a submission?
3rd party licensing is great if you have an open gaming license... that's not V&V...

And Allen, ownership of the characters has NEVER been the issue... nice try. Oh, and stop the stupid plugging of the 'defunct' crap... we know who FGU is, has been and continues to be. Don't you have a cat to stroke?

IP Logged

C.L.
Sidekick

aka Curt

Reply #115 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:45pm

Allen Shock wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 3:12pm:
The "official" thing is merely to indicate which characters Monkey House Games owns the rights to. The characters from the original FGU (Inc. of New York, the original and now defunct corporation) modules were owned by the various creators; unless those creators reach agreement with MHG about the use of the characters, MHG cannot publish them in an "official" capacity. This was one of the reasons MHG developed their free compatibility license and logo; so people who wanted to publish V&V compatible materials but not give up the rights to their characters can do so.

Allen 

I saw the Monkey House announcement that they want to publish Bill Willingham's characters--but they say that he is retaining IP rights to those characters and that his characters will exist in a parallel universe to the characters owned by Jack and Jeff. That seems to be the same model that FGU has already been using. I guess they don't mind FGU's model after all. (AK, please don't respond to the legalities of publishing Death Duel.)

Also, I think it's premature to automatically assume that FGU wouldn't authorize another company to use V&V if asked. I say this by looking at actual history. Trouble for Havoc was not published by FGU and yet it had V&V compatability stats. This Empress Earth was a magazine adventure by Patrick Zircher that was not published by FGU. There are several other magazine adventures back in the day. So I think AK went way overboard for speaking for the publisher on this matter. I better response would be to say that he doesn't know how Scott Bizar will say about such matters and recommend that people contact Bizar directly.

So all in all, I don't see that compatability license as a way that MHG will democratize V&V for the masses since FGU had a history of doing that same thing.

If you want to find out what Scott Bizar will do, contact him directly.

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins!

Portland, OR
Reply #116 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:51pm

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 9:07pm:
Say what you want to, but there is only one V&V.
That's fair.... we don't need a balkanization of the property

3rd party publishing isn't "balkanization". It could help get more product out for the game. It might not, but discounting all together seems pretty narrow minded for a game that is trying to make a comeback in a hobby that has more competitors than it did previously.

and if you want to publish materials - send a submission?

Not everyone wants to do that though. I've explained in another thread why I wouldn't  but other writers, etc,  will have their own reasons for not wanting to.

3rd party licensing is great if you have an open gaming license... that's not V&V...

You don't need an Open Gaming License to allow 3rd party publishing. Where did you get that idea from?

Soultaker Studios Blog: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

"Machete don't text"

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins!

Portland, OR
Reply #117 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:00pm

CL,

Not to disagree with you, but AK's comments seem pretty specific that 3rd party publishing isn't something they will allow at this time.

I could be wrong, but I don't see why AK would repeatedly state that if someone wants to release something, they have to send a submission to FGU for possible release by FGU if Scott was willing to go the 3rd party route. He may not post on these forums, but I doubt Scott doesn't read them (and would tell AK if anything he says doesn't coincide with FGU policy).

"Machete don't text"

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #118 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:10pm

That's not what I'm saying; I'm saying that Scott would/will always want to negotiate the terms personally and that he's not indicated to me would ever post a static 3rd party agreement posted out in the open... therefore, to take best care of his (arguably) flagship line, he should be contacted directly instead of what is being argued here about whether he will do X or Y. He'll 'allow' what is negotiated with him to allow.
All this talk of will he let third partys publish would be ultimately his decision. I am saying that there isn't that structure at this time, as I've always said. Right now it's a two party negotiation, FGU and (whomever).

IP Logged

Gerry
Justice Leaguer

Graak kill Blue Skins!

Portland, OR
Reply #119 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:18pm

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 13th, 2010 at 10:10pm:
That's not what I'm saying; I'm saying that Scott would/will always want to negotiate the terms personally and that he's not indicated to me would ever post a static 3rd party agreement posted out in the open... therefore, to take best care of his (arguably) flagship line, he should be contacted directly instead of what is being argued here about whther he will do X or Y. He'll 'allow' what is negotiated with him to allow.

if each person has to negotiate with him, that's not a 3rd party license. He could choose to change the terms for each person. Not saying that's wrong, but it seems pretty strange when a unified license would set the standards for everyone, and make things easier for him.

Anyway, I'll refrain from continued comments on the matter, as it's really not that important in the over all scheme of things

"Machete don't text"

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #120 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 11:46pm

How much money are we even talking about?   How much is Scott making on the new V&V stuff?   How much is Jeff and Jack making?

How many units are even being sold?   Is this worth a legal battle over?  I am just curious.

I am scary, very, very scary.
WWW Jbua@juno.com Food+Eater+Lad  
IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #121 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:50am

Opinion here, so don't everyone go off half-cocked:
I think this isn't *really* about the game, but big money for Jeff. It is about the game and publishing for Scott.
I think it's about publishing rights to the property and what Jeff *really* might like to do with them... he works in the field of MMOs after all... I think he sees gold in those hills and this is just the first step...
We've seen a lot of old school superhero properties look into MMOs... Imagine working in an office for one and kicking yourself in the ass for having a publishing contract all those years ago....

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #122 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:58am

So what is wrong with big money?   If its just publishing for Scott then he can give away the products at cost.    I mean, its about the game after all.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Gresham, OR
Reply #123 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 7:20am

John wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 1:58am:
If its just publishing for Scott then he can give away the products at cost.I mean, its about the game after all.

Or he could just turn V&V back over to it's creators if it's truly not about the money for him.

Of course by MHG's stance it isn't necessary. And if it isn't about money but truly about the game only, why no third party license?

Sorry, I don't buy that stance from Scott Bizar at all.

IP Logged

Ranger
Justice Leaguer

Also known as Dracos!

East Indiana
Reply #124 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:35am

Wow AK that's exact opposite I would have thought considering Scott's a publisher and Dee/Hermann are artist/writers.

Not that I think either motivation is bad. Making money doing/making something or in Scotts case producing something you love is everyones dream isnt it?

aka Dracos aka DarkStar aka Star Guard

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #125 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:54am

That last block of mine is just a theory... I put no stock in it.

Of what Scott's purview is, only he can say. I will say that V&V to Scott has to be more than it is to MHG.V&V is a product that folks who identify with FGU already know... the phrase "trading on the good name of" comes to mind... and about whether it's about money for Scott... well of course it is to a point, but Scott does not expect to get rich off V&V... he's much more down to earth than that.

"Of course by MHG's stance it isn't necessary. And if it isn't about money but truly about the game only, why no third party license?"

Because it's unnecessary, and nothing more ~ what is the actual benefit of the 3rd P Lic? I think it's a watering down of quality in most cases, maybe not all, but most.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #126 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 12:11pm

But what would be wrong if Jeff's motivation is big money?  Is there something wrong with big money? I know I would love to strike it rich.   I would also like to see Jeff make a gazillion dollars from this game.  Why say that like its a bad thing?

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #127 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 9:43pm

No, I have no problem with Jeff makin' big cash.
I have a problem with him feigning ignorance to make his court case, against someone he has enough of a relationship with to have negotiated all this without 25 years of ugliness.
Big cash from honesty is admirable.
Big cash from exploit is disgusting. Especially when it's against a 'friend'.

I'd like to live in comfort too, but I won't do so by not keeping my word... being a good guy means making tough choices, standing by your friends for the right reasons, and having integrity.
Jeff is not doing that, regardless what he created or invented or helped to invent. He never has. He's been bitching and moaning way before he dreamed up Monkey House.

What, we all play superhero games and sledge our fiction on the notion of good and evil, and its not plausible for you to accept that? What would you sell for your strike at rich?
Your soul?
That's why I say it like it's a bad thing.
Because it is a bad thing.

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Young Justice

I Love V&V!

Reply #128 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:06pm

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:54am:
Scott does not expect to get rich off V&V.

A decade or so ago, when Jack and I were trying to get Scott to pass the V&V license to other, *active* publishers (R. Talsorian and White Wolf both made offers), Scott put a pricetag of $45,000 on the V&V rights. In an email exchange with me a few weeks before Jack and I re-released V&V ourselves, Scott raised that pricetag to "$50,000 to $75,000". Make of that what you will.

And for the record, there is NO deal in the works for a V&V MMO, nor do I think there's room in the market for a fourth superhero MMO.

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #129 - Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:48pm

Cool.
Then you understood and believed ten years ago that Scott assigned value to the property and whether he was "active" or not, and thereby you understood it was fully within his power negotiate said licensing and he obviously thought enough of it to raise the tag with the cost of living and inflation. A transaction that big and you obviously would have looked at those contracts then which was 9 years after the 1991 argument you've been hanging your hat  on.

Thanks for acknowledging that publically.
Oh -
And thanks for the MMO clarification as well.

IP Logged

Display Name
Justice Leaguer

I Love V&V!

Reply #130 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:06am

Jeff Dee wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:06pm:

A decade or so ago, when Jack and I were trying to get Scott to pass the V&V license to other, *active* publishers

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

It *is* interesting that there was no contest to FGU's ownership of V&V.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #131 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:15am

Display Name wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:06am:
Jeff Dee wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 10:06pm:

A decade or so ago, when Jack and I were trying to get Scott to pass the V&V license to other, *active* publishers

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

It *is* interesting that there was no contest to FGU's ownership of V&V.

("a decade or so" ago) I concur.

IP Logged

Jeff Dee
Young Justice

I Love V&V!

Reply #132 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:28am

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 14th, 2010 at 11:48pm:
Cool.
Then you understood and believed ten years ago

Believed? Yes. Understood? No. Jack and I have made this quite clear: we NOW know that we could have exerted our rights to V&V as far back as '91. But at the time, we thought we were trapped.

Quote:
that Scott assigned value to the property and whether he was "active" or not, and thereby you understood it was fully within his power negotiate said licensing and he obviously thought enough of it to raise the tag with the cost of living and inflation.

He obviously thought enough of it to ask for ridiculously big piles of cash.

Quote:
A transaction that big and you obviously would have looked at those contracts then which was 9 years after the 1991 argument you've been hanging your hat  on.

We DID look at the contracts at that time. What we DIDN'T do was ask ourselves whether Scott's current venture was a legitimate continuation of the corporation - FGU Inc - with which we had signed our contracts in the first place. Our lawyer back then didn't bother looking into it, but our current lawyer did.

Quote:
Thanks for acknowledging that publically.

There's no point in trying to spin my words in direct contradiction with OTHER things I've already clearly stated. You're just making yourself look worse.

Quote:
Oh -
And thanks for the MMO clarification as well.

You're welcome. Now please apologize for accusing me of being motivated by 'greed'.

-Jeff Dee
Monkey House Games

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Gresham, OR
Reply #133 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 12:54am

Honestly getting very tired of your belligerent posts AK. You are always trying to spin other peoples words into what you want them to be and it's really getting old.

Your vehemence hurts your position in this in my eyes, and I think probably in others as well. Jeff's posts can be acerbic at times as well but you really are over the top most of the time. Artists are passionate, I get that, if you weren't you probably wouldn't be an artist. But the way you post makes you seem rather irrational and argumentative most of the time.

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #134 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 1:34am

Yes,  feel free to keep arguing, but this thread really has nothing to offer for me.  Its going to stay open, and unless personal information is reveale and someone alerts me via PM, I am not coming back.  Its pointless and out of my control so why bother?

Let the courts decide.  Either way, everyone loses.

Now, I am going to argue whether Captain Kirk has Heightend Charisma A or  B in other threads.

IP Logged

Duroon
Avenger

I Love V&V!

Gresham, OR
Reply #135 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 3:53am

AlabasterKnight wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 1:33am:
I'm tired of Jeff parsing every post and then you accusing me of being a spinmaster.

Because you change what they have said and say that they are agreeing with you about legal arguements.

Quote:
I'm tired of you throwing 'benign' posts out there to destroy my credibility to defend my paycheck by saying that Scott needs to be the one here defending himself, because I'm 'unofficial' ...
Or better your last post that tries to exploit my passion as a 'bad' thing.

You're as credible as any contributor that isn't the principal of this argument, because you are not one of the principal's involved. The only three people in that category are Jeff, Jack, and Scott.

I am not saying your passion is a bad thing, it's a great thing, but you are letting it make you look like a frothing at the mouth madman in some of your posts. I was just suggesting you try a little moderation in how you state things.

You have lost my interest in anything you do for the game due to your inability to act civilly and let the principals involved settle this.

IP Logged

AlabasterKnight
Justice Leaguer

Heroing since 1979.

Phoenix, AZ
Reply #136 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 5:34am

That's just you characterizing me that way.
I'm direct, not crazy.

And as you don't censor what you say, why should I?
Moderation... what the heck is that? From you, someone who has lost interest in things I do regardless what I do: You said you sided your wallet with them long before I gave you anything to be sideways about.

And Duroon, I may not be a company owner, but I help give FGU a presence, and you have no respect for that.

IP Logged

Allen Shock
Young Justice

I Love V&V!

Reply #137 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 6:20am

John wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 1:34am:
Now, I am going to argue whether Captain Kirk has Heightend Charisma A or  B in other threads.

He has a Mutant Power equal to what would be Heightened Charisma D Smiley

Allen

IP Logged

STORMDANCE
Teen Titan

I Love V&V!

Reply #138 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:23am

You know I have been quietly reading this stuff for awhile now and AK....you have lost me. You are extremely venomous and come off almost desperate. Like Jeff Dee is trying to destroy your career or something.
I don't see what's so hard to understand. Jeff and Jack CREATED the game everyone here loves and they have every right to want it back in their hands. Furthermore its perfectly reasonable for them to not have initially realized that the V & V contracts they had with FGU became null and void when the business structure was changed, effectively causing FGU Inc to cease to exist. Why would they know that? As far as you basically saying that Jeff is lying about it and believing a lawyer could not have missed that is just plain ridiculous.

Bottom line, I support the creators Jeff and Jack. I have nothing against Scott but I think the creators should have the rights to their creation and the avenue they are using to accomplish that makes perfect sense to me.

You AK on the other hand do not. If FGU loses this legal issue then I hope Jeff and Jack will still accept submissions from you if you wanted to send them in or utilize a 3rd party OGL type of arrangement to continue V&V publications.

Good luck to you AK and my unsolicited advice to you is: find another hobby besides fighting over this issue on the forums because the previous posters are right: You are starting to make yourself look real bad if not slightly unhinged.

Your welcome to spew your venom at me but I am done with this thread so you will be spewing at an empty space.
Ta Ta.

Good Luck Jeff and Jack! Never give up and thanks for all the years of fun from V&V!! Playing in John's campaign really shows how much potential this game has realized and still has to offer.

And Captain Kirk does not have heightened Charisma. He has seduction skill and has been training it with every level.

Now it's time for Scion to take down those damn Moevians!! Bring them on John!!! CHAAAARRRGGGE!!

IP Logged

John
Galactus

The Master Cylinder

Flushing, NY
Reply #139 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:33am

STORMDANCE wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 7:23am:
Now it's time for Scion to take down those damn Moevians!! Bring them on John!!! CHAAAARRRGGGE!!

You are wasting your time, I am not reading this thread anymore. Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46
Send Topic Print